Hire Station is a key business within the vp plc Group (Equipment hire specialists). In 2010 Hire Station launched a key change project called ‘Transform’ One element is called ‘transform our people’. To do this the business decided to invest in a significant programme of salesforce training.
The UK salesforce underwent a detailed assessment towards the end of 2012. As a result, a re-structure focused the team on more formal Account Management and the related competencies for this role
Task given to STAR
We were asked to create a dynamic learning Academy which established the tools and skills needed to compliment the Company’s strategy for growth. The role of the Sales Manager was identified as the key one in terms of driving the change through the Academy
1. We co-designed the Hire Station way of selling with the regional Sales Directors
2. We established a set of Hire Station sales competencies to benchmark and measure progress.
3. We designed and produced a Hire Station Academy guidebook
4. We completed two waves of training to cover the whole salesforce
5. We ran review days to measure and celebrate progress
The new ways of working have been established and now One Call (the support and telephone sales centre) has been inducted into the Hire Station way of selling. Regional Sales Director Alan Clayton commented,
‘The behaviour changes in my team are the most pleasing; they are better planned, better targeted and more self driven’